Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Peace that passes all understanding

Yesterday I posted a verse on my Facebook that i have been thinking a lot about lately....

do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7


Now this verse is one of the best to read because it sounds so great right? No one wants to worry or fret about anything and if we are all honest with our self this is a verse that we probably need to read daily. But I have found in my own life that this verse is one of the hardest things to actually live out. I mean to actually not be anxious, worry, stress, or freak out about anything sounds like it is impossible. I know in my life I have constantly worried about things that 1. I cant control and 2. make me think of the worst possible outcomes that usually never come true. Its only human to worry....about fiances, relationships, health, purpose, love, self worth, image, etc etc etc....

I thought about the phrase in this verse that says THE PEACE OF GOD. What is exactly is the peace of God? To understand it we have to look at what Paul was actually saying when he used that word peace.

eirene- This word in its original Greek means....one, peace, quietness, rest, and set at one again.

So what Paul is saying is that the REST of God or the QUIETNESS of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

What an AWESOME thought!! You see I have learned that you yourself can not stop worrying about your situations. They are to big for you....but when we go to God (by prayer and supplication) giving HIM complete control of the outcome (because that's what we worry about, if we saw the outcome was OK we wouldn't worry), then HIS rest, peace, quietness (which we will never understand) will guard our hearts and mind! The outcome then wont be as important to us because its not about our outcome but HIS! therefore no need to worry or fret for your life is not your own it is in Christ Jesus.

We serve a great an awesome God.

Father allow us to put all our trust and cares in You. I know a lot of us are going through some difficult times, but help us in our time of trouble to know that you work all things together for good for those who love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment